The Disability Confident scheme supports employers to make the most of the talents disabled people can bring to the workplace. Being Disability Confident could help a business discover someone it just can’t do without.
Whether an employee has become disabled during their working life, or you’re looking for new recruits, being Disability Confident can help your people fulfil their potential and contribute fully to your team’s success. By being Disability Confident, you’ll also be seen as leading the way in your business sector and beyond, helping to positively change attitudes, behaviours and cultures.
Why become Disability Confident
Being Disability Confident will help a business:
- Draw from the widest possible pool of talent
- Secure and retain high quality staff who are skilled, loyal and hard working
- Save time and money on the costs of recruitment and training by reducing staff turnover
- Keep valuable skills and experience
- Reduce the levels and costs of sickness absences
- Improve employee morale and commitment by demonstrating that they treat all employees fairly
How to become Disability Confident
The scheme has 3 levels designed to support a business at every step on their Disability Confident journey. You must complete each level before moving on to the next. The 3 levels are:
- Disability Confident Committed – To be recognised as Disability Confident Committed just agree to the Disability Confident commitments and identify at least one action that you’ll carry out to make a difference for disabled people.
- Disability Confident Employer – Once you’ve signed up for level 1 you can progress to level 2, a Disability Confident Employer, by self-assessing your organisation around 2 themes:
- getting the right people for your business
- keeping and developing your people
- Disability Confident Leader – By stepping up to become a Disability Confident Leader, you’ll be acting as a champion within your local and business communities. To reach this level you’ll need to:
- have your self-assessment validated from outside your business
- show what you have done as a Disability Confident Leader